The Service Department is the administrative umbrella for the Street, Storm Water, and Water/Sanitary Sewer departments. This also includes, refuse & recycling collection. We also handle permits for garage sales, special events and solicitors. Service is often the first point of contact for residents inquiring about information on a variety of topics.
The Service Department handles several permits including, Garage Sale, Special Events and Solicitors. The cost for a garage sale permit is $1 and can be picked up at the front desk. Special event permits are $50 for residents that are having a large function with amplified noise and can be applied for in the Service Department. The application for this permit can also be found under the "links and documents" section of this page. In addition to the fee, applicants must provide a list of addresses within 300ft of where the event is to take place. Anyone soliciting door to door must have a Solicitors permit. The cost of this permit is $15 which covers the application fee ONLY. Background checks will need to be completed separately. As of January 1, 2016, solicitor's permits are only good for a period of two weeks per calendar year.
Solid Waste Disposal
The City of Reynoldsburg has a solid waste disposal contract with Rumpke
. Trash, yard waste, recycling and bulk items are picked up on Thursday, unless the schedule is altered by a holiday.
All trash must be properly contained in either bags or trash cans that are no more than 50 pounds. All yard waste must either be in yard waste bags or in a designated container labeled “yard waste.” (Note: yard waste in plastic bags as well as soil or rock will not be taken). Recycling must be in the proper recycling containers but does not have to be sorted. To learn more about what can be recycled, please click here.
To schedule a bulk item pickup, please contact Rumpke direct at 1-800-828-8171 no later than 3:00PM the day before trash is scheduled to be picked up.
Trash and Recycling Guidelines and Reminders
General Service Guidelines
Yard Waste Guidelines
• Place trash in bags or containers, not exceeding 50 pounds each.
• Place recycling in the blue recycling cart. Recycling carts were distributed in May 2019 and are assigned to each home. If you need a blue recycling cart, or have a damaged cart, please call the Water Department at 614 322 6811.
• Place trash, recycling and yard waste curbside the evening before the designated service day.
Bulky Items & Appliances
• Please call Rumpke 24 hours in advance at 1 800 828 8171 to schedule a bulk pick up. Rumpke will collect bulky household items from the curb on your trash service day.
• Examples of bulky items: Appliances, carpet, furniture and toys. Please note that mattresses and upholstered items must be fully wrapped in plastic. This is an OSHA requirement.
• Contact Rumpke for information about items with Freon.
TV Disposal: Televisions MUST have their screens taped in order to prevent shattering. Per contract, Rumpke is NOT required to pick up any TV that is not safely packaged for disposal. Any TV over 32" must be a flat screen TV and scheduled as a bulk item with Rumpke (1-800-828-8171) at least 24-hours before trash day. TVs under 32" do not need to be called in to Rumpke.
Senior Citizen Discount
A discounted rate for Rumpke solid waste removal is available to residents at least 60 years old. Residents must show an I.D. with proof of age at the Water Department located in the Municipal Building at 7232 E. Main Street. For further information please contact the Water Department at 614-322-6811.
Yard waste is organic waste generated during regular household gardening and landscaping such as grass clippings, leaves, twigs, branches, and shrubbery. Unacceptable yard waste includes plastic bags, pots, food waste, rocks and dirt.
• Branches: Cut branches to 4 ft. or shorter. Tie into bundles with string or twine (no wider than 2 ft.).
• Loose Material: Place in biodegradable bags or rigid containers marked “Yard Waste.” Do not line with plastic bags.
• Weight Limit: Each bag, bundle or container should not exceed 50 pounds.
• Holiday Trees: Remove decorations then cut trunk and limbs to 4 ft. or shorter. Tie into bundles with string or twine
Why Recycling Matters
The amount of waste created by Central Ohio residents and businesses is staggering. In fact, every resident generates an average of 9-10 pounds of waste each day. With only so much landfill space available, it’s more important than ever that we reuse, recycle, compost or divert as much as we can.
The City wants to make proper recycling as easy as possible for you so we provide each resident with a recycling cart to place acceptable items in for recycling. Please place these carts at the curb on your recycling day under the same guidelines as your trash. The City is not responsible for lost or misplaced recycling carts. If your recycling cart becomes damaged please contact the Water Department at 614-322-6811.
Don't Just Recycle. Recycle Right.
It’s not only important to recycle. It’s important to Recycle Right. By only recycling materials that are accepted at the recycling facility, your recycling will make more of an impact. Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio’s (SWACO) “RECYCLE RIGHT” campaign makes proper recycling easy by giving you a comprehensive list of what should and what shouldn’t go in your recycling container. For more information about “RECYCLE RIGHT,” please visit www.recycleright.org.
Still have questions about what’s accepted or not accepted for recycling? View the infographics below or visit SWACO’s Frequently Asked Questions page at www.recycleright.org/faq/. To find the best solution for your unwanted item, use SWACO’s “Reuse and Recycling Tool” at www.recycleright.org/recycle-reuse-search-tool/. For additional information on diversion options like reuse, donation and recycling, please visit SWACO’s website at www.recycleright.org.